Thoroughbred Racing SA Ltd is the governing body for thoroughbred racing in South Australia.
The successful applicant will have an understanding of required welfare standards and be able to develop and implement standards and policies across the thoroughbred racing industry.
We are seeking a person who is comfortable dealing with customers, and most importantly is passionate about thoroughbred racing and equine welfare.
This is a unique opportunity to join our vibrant team!
On offer is a salary package, including a fully maintained vehicle, commensurate with the successful applicant’s skills and level of experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume in word format to email@example.com with job title in the email header by no later than Friday 28 February 2020.
Overview of the Role
- To deliver best practice equine welfare standards across the South Australian Thoroughbred Racing Industry.
- In conjunction with the Stewards to investigate breaches of the rules of racing as they relate to equine welfare.
- To monitor licensed premises to ensure that they meet the standard required for responsible equine welfare.
- Demonstrates commitment to TRSA Employee Values which include Health Safety & Wellbeing, Ethical Behaviour, Efficiency Participation and Service of Customers.
- Adherence to TRSA Operational Policies
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
Best Practice Equine Welfare Standards:
- Continuous Improvement to the Equine Welfare Framework to ensure contemporary expectations are achieved.
- Develop and implement equine welfare projects that include:
- Humane euthanasia program
- Industry delivered emergency assistance
- Industry assisted fire safety planning for properties
- Identify external individuals/organisations to deliver re-homing opportunities for racehorses exiting the racing population.
- Other projects as identified
Equine Welfare Investigations:
- Liaising with all relevant parties including complainants, RSPCA, Industry Veterinarian, Stewards and other parties as identified.
- Conducting equine welfare inspections and monitoring of licensed properties
- Undertaking all aspects of an investigation including interviews, preparation of briefs and acting as witness where appropriate.
- Identify and implement technological solutions to enhance equine welfare outcomes.
Standards at Licensed Premises:
- Develop and implement formal welfare standards that must be adhered to at licensed premises.
- Develop and implement Stable Inspection Policy and Strategy including continuous monitoring of licensed premises as they relate to welfare.
- Undertake and audit stable returns as they relate to horses entering and exiting the racing population.
- Professional conduct that upholds the integrity of the thoroughbred racing industry
Educational / Vocational qualifications
- Formal qualifications in veterinarian/equine science or relevant fields.
Personal abilities / aptitudes
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to think laterally and independently
- Strong Problem solving skills
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to explain issues to people at a level they understand
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Knowledge and Experience
- Understanding of contemporary equine welfare standards
- Understanding of the rules of racing as they relate to equine welfare
- Sound computer literacy skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Understanding of how to use twitter
- Understanding of Racing Australia’s Single National System.
General Employment Conditions
- Hours of work are generally 8.30am – 5.00pm with an hour for breaks.
- Weekend and after hours work will be required from time to time as agree with Manager.
- Rostered Days off are accrued where work is undertaken on a Saturday or Public Holiday
- Work undertaken on a Sunday will be a paid at the Sunday rate.
TRSA is committed to providing employees with flexible working arrangements, as such alternative arrangements may be made with your direct Manager.
For all applications and enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org