Veterinary Nurse At Rosemont Stud
Rosemont is based on multiple farms less than 20 minutes from Geelong, Victoria. We require a highly motivated Veterinary Nurse to join our expanding organisation.
The role of the veterinary nurse shall be to support the stud veterinarian to perform inspections, procedures and operations for the treatment of animals at Rosemont Stud.
This will include:
- Administering medications (intravenous and intramuscular injections, oral medications, fluid therapy) to all horses under veterinary care. Changing bandages. Maintaining accurate treatment records and monitoring patients on a daily basis. Communicate any concerns to the treating veterinarian.
- Perform basic laboratory tests.
- Set up equipment for surgery and monitor field anaesthetics/administer oxygen under close veterinary supervision.
- Transfer animals to recovery areas after operations/procedures and monitor wellbeing.
- Disinfect and sterilise instruments, equipment and examinations areas, and prepare required tools for procedures.
- Provide adequate restraint for animals whilst the vet examines them and performs procedures.
- Maintain veterinary drug stock levels and request additional supplies when needed.
- Keep accurate records and transfer them to stud computer database.
Employment will be on a full-time basis
Availability for after-hour duties is expected (roster to be discussed with veterinarian as required). These duties may include (but not be limited to):
- Overnight checking of foals on intensive care therapy
- Administration of after-hours treatments
- Assistance of veterinarian with difficult foalings or emergency treatment of horses eg. colic cases
The successful candidate will be required to be a qualified Vet Nurse.