Rider/Stud Hand – Kelvinside
Godolphin is the largest thoroughbred breeding and racing entity in the world. Encompassing seven countries and two hemispheres.
Godolphin has an exciting opportunity for Riders/Stud Hand to join our Breaking team for the 2022 breaking season. Successful applicants will be based at our Kelvinside operation near Aberdeen in the Hunter Valley, NSW.
Reporting to the Breaking In Manager the Rider/Stud Hand is responsible for assisting the Breaking In Manager and Breaker in the final stages of their breaking preparation and riding pre-trainers, routine care and welfare of Godolphin’s world-renowned bloodstock. The role may suit someone looking to further develop their riding skills.
The successful applicants should be a passionate, reliable and driven individual with thorough attention to detail, a positive attitude, good work ethic and be willing to go above and beyond in the role.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Preparation of horses for trackwork, including general health of the horse, grooming, checking shoes
- Exercise horses riding slow work in accordance with instructions and safe work practices
- Routine health checks, monitoring basic health and welfare horses, recognising signs of injury and/or illness and reporting concerns
- Assist with feeding and exercise regimes on a daily basis
- Clean and maintain work environment including equipment, mucking out, stable areas, yards and water drinkers
- Ability to communicate effectively and work in a team environment
- Compliance with all organisational policies, procedures and processes and legislative standards and requirements
- Excellent horse handling skills, with sound knowledge and practical experience handling, riding and caring for breakers and pre-trainers
- Demonstrated competence and confidence handling a variety of bloodstock of different temperaments during the breaking process.
- Understanding of the thoroughbred industry and operations.
- Current Drivers Licence
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive pay rate, with opportunity to earn penalty rates on eligible hours
- Quality uniforms
- Free accommodation may be available for the successful applicant
- Opportunity to work with Godolphin’s world-renowned bloodstock including progeny from Exceed and Excel, Lonhro, Too Darn Hot, to name a few
- A chance to work at one of Godolphin’s premium breeding locations
A detailed job description is available on request.
All applications will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.
Please apply in writing by 30th November 2021 to: