Thoroughbred Racing SA Limited (TRSA) is the Principal Racing Authority under the Rules of Racing and administers and regulates thoroughbred horse racing in South Australia. TRSA currently has a vacancy in the Stewards’ Department and seek applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Steward/Senior Steward.
Reporting & Key responsibilities: Reporting to the Chairman of Stewards, the key responsibilities of the position are:
- To assist in the administration and regulation of thoroughbred racing in South Australia in accordance with the Rules of Racing, Policies, relevant legislation and directions from the Board and/or Management;
- To assist in the management of the supervision and control of thoroughbred race meetings, official trials and approval to race jump-outs conducted in South Australia;
- To conduct investigations and inquiries into breaches of the Rules of Racing;
- To attend track work sessions and approval to race jump-outs at training venues;
- To conduct stable inspections.
- To perform administrative duties as assigned.
The position will require work outside of normal business hours, including weekends and public holidays and some intrastate travel.
Key skills, experience, qualifications and attributes: The successful applicant will demonstrate the following skills/experience/qualifications/attributes:
- Previous appointment as a Steward/Senior Steward in the thoroughbred racing industry with a comprehensive knowledge of the Rules of Racing and an understanding of the principles of natural justice and procedural fairness.
- Previous experience in the conduct of inquiries and investigations and representation at Appeal level.
- Experience in acting as Chairman of Stewards at race meetings. While experience at Metropolitan race meeting level or equivalent would be an advantage, experience in acting as Chairman of Stewards at Provincial race meeting level or equivalent is essential.
- Excellent race day observation and race reading skills.
- Ability to maintain the highest levels of integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to interact with a diverse range of key personnel/stakeholders and participants from across the racing industry in a professional manner.
- Well-developed time management, self-management and organisational skills.
- Sound written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to consult and resolve conflict.
- Proven high levels of flexibility and adaptability, including the ability to deal with pressure, ambiguity and change.
Shortlisted applicants will undergo a probity check. The provision of disclosure statements will also be required.
The successful applicant will be provided a remuneration package commensurate to their relevant experience.
All applications and inquiries will be treated with the strictest confidence and should be directed to:
Johan Petzer - Chairman of Stewards
Thoroughbred Racing SA Limited
GPO Box 2646
Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: 0488 990 750
Applications will be received until 5.00 pm Friday, 14 August 2020