Westbury Stud acknowledges the working conditions that exist within the NZ Thoroughbred industry which typically requires long days and hours in the field. We are committed to changing the traditional working hours to be in line with other industries, offering 8 - 8.5 hour day positions all year round with full-time and part-time roles available.
Westbury Stud are currently seeking a Stallion Handler to assist in the care of our internationally renowned stallion roster. Standing at Westbury Stud includes the Group 1 producing Reliable Man, El Roca, Redwood, Swiss Ace with our youngest two stallions being Tarzino and Telperion whose first crop are just two-year-olds in the southern hemisphere.
The main responsibilities of this role include:
· Leading, feeding, grooming and general care of the stallions
· Preparing stallions for parades and leading them in front of shareholders and breeders
· Assisting in the covering shed from September - December, including handling the stallion or broodmare for service
· Teasing mares
· Caring for an extensive broodmare band
· General stable duties
· Administering medical treatments
Other general stud duties include:
· Handling of foals, weanlings and yearlings
· Daily feed runs
· Preparation of yearlings for the major sales throughout Australasia
· Other general stable and farm duties as required by the Manager
We can accommodate applicant(s) for an immediate start or those looking for work at the beginning of the breeding season (from September onwards). This role requires the successful applicant to have a strong work ethic, have the ability to work under pressure, and have the ability to work well in a large diverse team who relishes the challenges the role may present and is passionate about the thoroughbred industry.
Full-time and Part-time roles are available, to express your interest and learn more about joining the Westbury team as a Stallion Handler please send your CV of no more than two pages with a cover letter outlining your relevant experience (application button below).
To fast track your application please complete our online application form, click here to get started.
Applicants must be a NZ citizen or have a valid visa with the right to work in NZ in a stud farm environment.