Westbury Stud is a renowned New Zealand thoroughbred stud farm with six commercial stallions, a significant breeding operation of over 300 mares and prepares the annual yearling crop for major sales throughout Australasia.
Westbury offers the opportunity to work in world class facilities and to be part of a supportive and motivated team who are focused on breeding superior racehorses, while the opportunity for growth and professional advancement at Westbury are plentiful.
Westbury Stud are currently seeking a Stallion Handler at the farm based in Karaka.
The main responsibilities of this role include:
· Handling of six commercial thoroughbred stallions
· Parading stallions for breeders
· Handling stallions and broodmares in the covering shed
· Teasing mares
· Caring for an extensive broodmare band
· General stable duties including feeding, mucking out, holding for the farrier and dentist etc
· Administering medical treatments
Other general stud duties include:
· Handling of foals, weanlings and yearlings
· Preparation of yearlings for the major sales throughout Australasia
· Other general stable and farm duties as required by the manager
We can accommodate applicants for an immediate start or those looking for work at the beginning of the breeding season. This role requires the successful applicant to have a strong work ethic, have the ability to work under pressure, and have the ability to work well in a large diverse team who relishes the challenges the role may present and is passionate about the thoroughbred industry.
Please send your CV of no more than two pages with a cover letter outlining your relevant experience.