The Newgate Group operates a large thoroughbred horse stud operation that is based at Aberdeen in the Hunter Valley, NSW. Newgate Operations Pty Ltd is currently accepting applicants for the role of Horse Trainer/Breeding. We are looking for motivated, determined, and experienced individuals.
The successful applicants must be able to demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of industry best practice, with either international experience or a thorough understanding of the global trends of the thoroughbred industry.
- Horse Trainer/Breeding – Manager
- Horse Trainer/Breeding – Assistant Manager
Duties Will Include:
- Training and preparing horses for major sales
- Overseeing yearlings and a small team of staff
- Maintaining records, including fitness reports and animal welfare records
- Handling, exercising, and caring for horses
- Handling and caring for thoroughbred stallions
- Teaching horses to be groomed and accept bridle, head collar, rug etc.
- Teaching horses to walk, stand and parade correctly
- Parade and caring for horses at sales, including ensuring fitness and wellbeing of the bloodstock
- Overseeing daily care and supervision of horses
- Re-educating horses to resolve problems such as biting and kicking
- Maintain safe and hygienic conditions
- Assist Veterinarian and provide the appropriate health care
- Knowledge of horsemanship practice at Certificate III level as a minimum standard, or in the absence of a qualification at least three years professional experience with breeding horses
- A minimum of three years’ experience handling and working with and educating thoroughbreds
- Proven knowledge and experience of horse handling and training methods specific to the thoroughbred breeding industry, including working with stallions, yearlings, broodmares and foals and preparing horses for sale
- Oral and written communication skills of a level to take instruction, provide information, and advice to others and prepare basic reports
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Knowledge of safe operation of all equipment and use of personal protective equipment
- Sound knowledge of health and safety obligations and demonstrated skills in safe operation of equipment relevant to the training and preparation of racehorses
A Certificate III or equivalent international qualification would be desirable.
Terms of Employment:
This is a full-time position, with a minimum commitment of at least 2 to 4 years.
The salary package will be above award, reflect your skills and experience, and will be in the range of $54,000 to $65,000 per annum depending on experience. In addition, subsidised accommodation will be available.
Please forward your resume outlining your horse experience and references via email to Angela@newgate.com.au