- Small, friendly and cohesive team where achieving excellence is their passion
- Excellent opportunity to thrive and enjoy a long-term career
- Be rewarded for your expertise and effort!
Our Client, Torryburn Stud, is a boutique thoroughbred stud consisting of 1200 picturesque acres steeped in Colonial history, nestled in gently rolling hills near Gresford, in the beautiful Paterson Valley, NSW.
Torryburn’s “point of difference” as an employer is they have a flat reporting structure with an on-site Management team. Every staff member is a valued ‘Torryburn family member’ where their opinions & input is not only encouraged but welcomed and where flexibility & ‘give & take’ is normal work practice. The Stud is located close to Newcastle (30 minutes), Sydney (2.5 hours) and the Hunter, making it very convenient to enjoy water activities, vineyards, the races and other social pursuits.
Offering a ‘Whole of Life Cycle Approach’ which emphasises the particular needs of every thoroughbred at each stage of its life – from broodmare, to foal, to weanling, to yearling and to spelling racehorses, Torryburn are seeking a self-starter who has thoroughly experienced all aspects of thoroughbred handing including foaling, with a shared commitment of excellence, to join the team assisting the Stud Manager achieve their goals.
This role provides critical support to the highly respected & capable Stud Manager and will be required to act in a “2IC capacity” in the Stud Manager’s absence. Previous proven experience providing harmonious supervisory support will be essential.
Reporting directly to the Stud Manager and the Management/Ownership team, the successful applicant will have the following proven attributes and be required to undertake:
- Maintaining awareness of best industry practice and techniques in relation to all horse management
- Ongoing liaison with Stud Manager
- Effective leadership attributes
- Assessment of all horse health and needs
- Administering treatment and medications to horses
- All facets of preparation of mares and yearlings for sales
- Maintaining records and documentation relating to horses
- A willingness to share skills with all staff
- Foaling experience
- High level of attention to detail & ability to meet deadlines
Essential qualifications & experience:
- Minimum of 5 seasons in a similar role
- All aspects of foaling
- Horse treatments & veterinary applications
- First aid Certificate
- Horse related qualifications would also be advantageous
To become an integral Torryburn team member, you will need to exhibit initiative and a willingness to go above and beyond to present the Stud and care for the horses to the highest standard at all times. You will also need to enjoy liaising with Clients and meeting potential clients in a knowledgeable and professional manner both ‘on farm’ and attending sales.
Although living ‘on farm’ is not essential, it is preferred and there is lovely, newly renovated single or couple accommodation provided as well as other benefits including electricity, phone, Foxtel, uniform etc. Sorry, no cats allowed to protect bird life on the property.
Applications for this opportunity should be forwarded quoting Ref. no. 940RJ by email to: email@example.com
Confidential inquiries may be directed to Margo Emery 0409385667 or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that an acknowledgement of your application will be sent to the email address from which you apply, therefore we encourage you to use a private or confidential email address.