Harness Racing Victoria (HRV), a statutory body, is responsible for the control, development, and promotion of the Victorian harness racing industry. With strong links to rural and regional communities, we are committed to developing a vibrant and sustainable harness racing industry which promotes participation, integrity, and racing excellence.
HRV’s integrity unit is responsible for overseeing the reputation and integrity of harness racing in Victoria.
As a member of the HRV Panel of Stewards, this role is responsible for the conduct of mobile and standing starts at harness racing meetings and overseeing the conduct of racing by administering the Australian Harness Racing Rules ensuring the reputation and integrity of harness racing in Victoria is continually enhanced.
Reporting to the Chief Stewards, responsibilities include:
- Attend to race meetings, inquiries, appeals and perform other duties as required.
- Ensure that harness racing is conducted fairly in accordance with the Rules & Policies of HRV.
- Perform all duties as empowered and required by the rules of HRV.
- Start races and trials. This requires the Starter to be conversant with all relevant procedures for the efficient and effective start of both mobile and stand start races.
- Provide assistance to the Stewards to conduct race meetings and official trials. As required, check gear and brands, and complete horse identification inspections.
- Display race reading skills and ability to analyse a race, video and make educated judgements on interference or tactics that may have affected the outcome of a race.
- Interact and build relationships with a diverse range of key stakeholders across the industry in a professional manner which upholds the integrity of racing.
- Display integrity, professionalism, and fairness in accordance with the HRV Rules of Racing and Code of Conduct.
- This position will have custody of the HRV Mobile Barrier and must ensure that it is maintained in a safe, clean, and working order for each trial and race meeting.
- The position holder must possess a current motor vehicle driver licence.
- Demonstrated computer skills and literacy with practical understanding and application of Microsoft Office software.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and prioritise – ability to work effectively and to operate effectively in an environment often characterised by pressure and short timeframes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to follow direction from colleagues and complete tasks as required.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making, negotiation, and consultation and conflict resolution skills.
- Customer Focus - actively listens to stakeholders to meet their requirements. Committed to delivering high quality outcomes for all stakeholders.
Highly desirable skills:
- An understanding of Harness Racing industry and Harness Racing Vic Rules and Regulations. For example: race day procedures, handicapping guidelines, field selection criteria, Book maker and Totalisator rules, policies and procedures relating to horse registration and licensing of participants.
- Practical and theoretical equine knowledge including understanding of the nature of standardbred horses and harness gear
- Knowledge and understanding of the relevant industry related Code of Conduct.
- Some experience of assisting and working within a Stewarding environment would be an advantage.
The position is expected to travel within Victoria and work outside of normal working hours according to scheduled race meetings.
HRV is committed to providing a flexible and inclusive work culture that values and supports diversity and inclusion. We offer great benefits to our staff including:
- Employee Assistance Program
- Social Club
- Discounted Health Insurance
- Flu Vaccinations
The successful applicant will be required to successfully complete background checks in accordance with company policy.
To apply, please click here
Applications close 10 October 2020.
No agencies please.