Flemington Racecourse is the best-known and oldest continuing metropolitan racecourse in Australia, with races run here every year since 1840. With its superb facilities, Flemington hosts over 20 race meetings every year, including the prestigious Melbourne Cup Carnival. It is also the home of Australia's premier racing club, the Victoria Racing Club.
The Victoria Racing Club was established in 1864, when it commenced the management of Flemington Racecourse. Governed by a Board of Directors elected by Members of the Club, the VRC has approximately 30,000 Members, making it the largest Member-based racing club in the world.
In this key role for our club you will assist in management of the preparation and maintenance of the course proper, training tracks and facilities. You will use your leadership to support the Racecourse Manager in ensuring the highest possible standards of track surfaces are maintained; and assist in the implementation of the maintenance program for plant and equipment.
Key accountabilities include:
- Participate in all aspects of track and facility management and maintenance.
- Prepare reports on matters relating to the development, re-development and maintenance of tracks.
- Monitor and record horse facility maintenance.
- Oversee all tractor, machinery and equipment usage to ensure safe and efficient operations and practices.
- Develop and execute track maintenance plans.
- Lead your tracks staff by fostering a team environment that supports the VRC’s vision, mission and strategies.
- Provide direction and effective communication to staff and contractors at all times.
- Provide support through training, performance reviews, planning and guidance.
- Promote accountability, consistency and continuous improvement.
- Ensure appropriate consequences, including recognising and reinforcing positive behaviours and outcomes, and managing poor behaviours and outcomes.
- Provide appropriate communication with relevant and approved media partners as directed.
- Ensure Flemington has high quality training facilities.
- Ensure there is consistency across all grass surfaces. Identify deficiencies in managing facilities
Experience and Expertise:
- Formal relevant qualification and applied knowledge of the maintenance and development of grass and artificial surfaces are highly desirable.
- Excellent organisational, business and verbal/written communication skills
- Well-developed commercial acumen
- Able to deal with a variety of tasks in a diverse work environment.
- Major project management experience, i.e. in track reconstruction.
- Experience in risk management and issue resolution
- Highly developed analytical, problem solving, critical thinking and decision- making skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to set and work towards deadlines.
- You conduct yourself in a manner that instils mutual trust and confidence
- You are committed to working proactively with others to maintain and strengthen partnerships to achieve common goals
- You strive to deliver high standards of performance for self and others
- You look for and are able to seize opportunities to generate new solutions to deal with work problems and opportunities
- The position maintains a high public profile and requires sound interpersonal skills to manage external expectations.
- The incumbent is required to balance the sometimes-conflicting expectations of VRC management, external training operations and Racing Victoria Racing Club Limited.
- The incumbent will be available for race day and race track preparation and management and will act as relief for the Racecourse Manager as required
If this sounds like you then don’t hesitate, email your application letter and resume to - firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Monday 9 April 2018.
A copy of your CV must be included in your application.